Saturday, August 11, 2012

CREATURE OF THE NIGHT!!

I'm taking a break from our regular posts on cats, dogs and birds so I can show you this awesome creature I had a chance to photograph a couple weeks ago!

This cute little guy is a Pallid Bat.  Yes...  I really DO think he's cute!  I LOVE bats!!  These guys range from Canada to Central Mexico and are between 3-1/2 to 5-1/2 inches in length, so they're pretty good size!  They have big eyes and giant ears!

Pallid Bats feed on insects and can consume up to half of their WEIGHT in insects every night!  Even though they catch most of their prey on the ground they'll ususally take it back to their roost to eat it!  They're my heros... they actually help keep the scorpion population down.  Obviously not enough though, because we still have them skitter though the house MUCH more frequently than I would like!  Well...  in a perfect world, that would be NEVER!!

I'm hiding... You can't see me!


Oh...  You're still there??

Time for my close-up!



Check out my spikey little teeth!!

I'm outta here!  I LOVE the crepe-y, transparent skin on their wings... 


No comments:

Post a Comment